Minutes

Friends of Hancock Park School Minutes – April 20th, 2017

Attendees:

Angela Ridgeon – President

Shanon Trygstad – Secretary

Lora Altounian – Treasurer

Stephanie Richards – Project Leader Teacher Appreciation Week

Shula Van Buren – Project Leader Teacher & Staff Holiday Breakfast

Victoria Yoon – Project Leader Carnival

Norma Luna – Project Leader Walkathon

Jenna Denning – Project Leader Family Dinner Nights

Samantha Olsson Shear – Project Leader Beautification

Inese Svikkalne – Project Leader AGC Donation Tree & Donor Parties 

Ms. Hollis – Assistant Principal

Welcome:

Angela Ridgeon, President, welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Principal Parker and Assistant Principal Hollis attended the entirety of the meeting, along with all Board members.

Room Parent Grade Representatives:

For the next school year 2017-18 the FoHPS has recruited Room Parent Grade Representatives to attend the 4 x annual meetings, and to serve as a liaison between the Board and Room Parents. Kinder: Soni Chawla, 1st Grade: Bea Wood, 2nd Grade: Sanj Hagan, 3rd Grade: Oksana Kirsanova, 4th Grade: Calvin Sevan and 5th Grade: TBA. Still more volunteers are needed for the board.

 

2017/2018 Budget:

Lora Altounian, Treasurer, presented the budget for review and approval.   It was unanimously approved.

 

Updated Bylaws:

Shanon Trygstad, Secretary, presented the new bylaws for review and approval. The bylaws were unanimously approved.

 

Elections:

Officer elections were held for the 2017/2018 FoHPS Board.  Shanon Trygstad was voted in as President, Lora Altounian was voted in as Treasurer, Inese Svikkalne as Secretary and Brian Altounian as a new board member.

 

Shade Structure:

Angela provided an update on the shade structure for the Art Patio.  The shade will cost $21,820. and the ‘soft costs’ were reduced from $12,097. to $9,050. The hope is that it will be in place for the 2017/2018 school year. Mrs. Parker has to investigate one of the clauses, which incorporates a disability ramp into the project costs, before the go ahead can be given.

 

Outside theatrical/lecture space:

The area is complete and it will be officially opened with a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Carnival on May 6, 2017.  The Board members are impressed with Mark Harelik’s work on the structure.

 

Last Family Dinner Night:

Jenna Denning shared that it will be held at Andre’s on May 24, 2017.  We talked about maybe considering Chipotle at the Grove next year.

 

Teacher Appreciation Week:

Stephanie Richards shared that it will take place during the week of May 1st – 5th, 2017.  Each grade will be assigned a day to bring food and 4th & 5th will share the last day.   Volunteers are needed and Stephanie asked that room parents to remind their families to contribute. E-blasts will be sent, together with email reminders to Room Parents, for distribution to parents.

 

Carnival:

Victoria Yoon provided an update regarding the planning of the Carnival.   Parent volunteers are needed to help set up/break down the booths, clean up and run the booths.  The Dunk Tank is not coming this year, due to Health & Safety restrictions. However, as ARC are not in attendance we have to pay for the climbing wall ($600.), but we will have the Euro Jump. We came up with the idea of putting flyers in the backpacks to say we needed volunteers (maybe the first 20 people get a free wristband?)

 

Open House:

It is scheduled for May 9, 2017.  Angela is arranging for food trucks to attend the event.

 

Book Fair:

It will be held May 8-12, 20-17 in Room 32.  Mrs. Parker requested that parents volunteer to assist with the Book Fair which will be in room 32, and run from May 8th-11th.   The times are 9:00-1:30pm Monday and Tuesday and 9:00-3:00pm on Wednesday & Thursday.

 

New Families Meet and Greet:

Date TBD (maybe Saturday 12th August from 11:00-12:00pm.  It is requested that the FoHPS Board members and other volunteers attend to help welcome new families.

 

First Day of School:

Bea Wood (room parent for Ms Assael) volunteered to be the new lead for the ‘first day of school’. She will liaise with Jenna and Stephanie.

 

Board Photo:

A picture was taken in the library of all the board members. This will be put in the year book and displayed on the board in the hall.

 

Buses for Field trips:

Teachers need to book these well in advance (early in the school year), otherwise they are nearly double the price if left until the last minute.

 

Scholar Share:

Jenna is handling this for next year, which means HPS may qualify for a donation.

 

Rewards programs: Ralph’s, Amazon & Amazon Smile:

Samantha agreed to take responsibility for this project next year. We need to get flyers in the Welcome Packs for these programs.

 

Park La Brea:

Angela & Shula took lunch for staff at PLB and sent them an invoice for $100,000, together with the proof of residency report from the Annual Giving Campaign. Angela is asking Ms. Cabeen’s class to make a thank you card.

 

Science Enrichment:

Next year Ms D Glass will be providing some extra Science classes to the school curriculum, for the GATE program. The board members and Mrs. Parker will discuss, to see if the FoHPS has room in the budget to fund these.

 

Sandbox in the Kindergarten yard:

This structure was built, but proved unsuitable for the kinder yard. We would like to repurpose the sand, so it was suggested that we ask Park La Brea if they would like to add it to the volleyball pitch. They must come and collect.

 

Morning Drop Off:

Ms Hollis confirmed that this scheme is running well, thanks to the help of the room parents.

 

HPS Parent Center:

Ms Hollis and Mrs Parker confirmed that this will be going ahead, and we will be seeking donations of furniture etc. It will be in room 32.

 

Plans for next year:

Remove the baseball backstops and widen the concrete path that leads to the playground from the back gate. Mark to put up two donated sails near the bungalow classrooms.
The meeting convened at 7:30 p.m.

 

2017 – 2018 – The first FoHPS meeting will be held on Thursday September 7th, 2017 at 6:00pm.: